Friday 19 January 2018

New boots!

How many pairs of boots do you have?! I started counting and was quite embarrassed.

 I had four pairs. Two dress pairs, with heels, that are becoming increasingly uncomfortable as I age. A tall pair to wear with dresses, which need an insert. I haven't worn them all year.  The last pair I use when I snowshoe, or muck about elsewhere. This last pair has a hole. These old (going into town) boots have a hole where the seams had ripped. I use hubby's duck boots on the back deck. (P.S. Tree frog was singing, again, this morning. We're going to have to shop for some bugs.)

We have different terrain on our property, and it calls for different boots. I have another big gum boot, lined, for wetland walkies.  You can see hubby with HIS gum boots in the wetland. He got a soaker, as did I, that day! [Talking a walk in (not 'on') the watery bog] I have snowmobile boots, but they were hurting my Achilles tendon.

Hubby has offered to go into town shopping, but I loathe shopping. Especially up to Christmas!
This is a simple tale. Out buying suet for the birds, I was quite excited to find some boots, on sale at 40% off. I tend to wait until serendipity strikes. And it did!
They are amazing.  These are warm down to -30 C., which is nothing to sneeze at around here. They were $160, but I'll get so much use out of them!

They have these little doohickeys you can flip down with their key, or your normal key, which gives studs for traction.  They are really great: ocsystem.it made overseas. With our freezing rain, and slippery sidewalks, they are going to be amazing!

Of course, the bonus? A big boot box for the cats! Hooper kept putting his paw through the hole in the end of the box... what a joker.


End of tale!

14 comments:

Olga said...

Living where you do, a boot wardrobe is not so much a luxury as a real necessity. Besides, the cats think of new boots as a conveyance for a new toy entering the house.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Those are FABulous Jenn! I do have one pair of very good boots (regular, but excellent grip soles), but have yet to wear them this winter. Entirely forgot to pack them for my trip to the snow! Sigh... YAM xx

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

$160 isn't bad for technical gear boots. And they will last you ages. I have a pair of snow boots that I love. I've probably had them ten years and they are in great condition and so warm. Perfect for winter chores.

Nancy J said...

Not a luxury but total necessity, think of the days when you HAVE to go out, put on those gorgeous red boots, and it will be lots safer and warmer. The photo of the sole? where are your socks? I have neoprene gumboots, with a sole insert, so soft and warm and very comfortable.

Cloudia said...

Enjoy them dear Jenn

William Kendall said...

I've got two pairs- winter boots, and cowboy boots, but I don't wear those outside.

Jenn Jilks said...

Socks are for chumps, Jean!

Red said...

Reading your story, I think I have some old boots I should throw away.

Angie said...

Jenn - thank you for visiting my blog. Yes, I can see we share a love of outdoors. Quite frankly, my dear, I don't think four pairs of boots are a reason to be embarrassed ... if I have learned one thing since our move to Montana, it is the fact that VERY different boots are needed for different activities. One of our most valuable purchases has been a pair of gaiters to deal with high snow without having to buy a pair of tall boots!

DUTA said...

I've got about four pairs of relatively light boots, but I seldom wear them as our winters are usually mild.
What interests me more are non-slippery soles of any shoes I wear, especially in winter.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

I’ve got 2 pair of winter boots and 2 pair of rubber boots.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

How many pairs of boots? Two. One for the winter, one for the rest of the year. And then a pair of rubber boots (wellies in Britain) for coping with long wet grass when out birding in early morning at the time of year when the dew is heavy.

Anvilcloud said...

I tend to forget to read blogs when I am not actually posting, which has been the case recently.

I don't know how many pairs Sue might have, but I have two. One pair is a hiking boot that is useful in winter snow. The other is a genuine snow boot, which I've had for a long time as I generally only use it for snowshoeing. I have hiking/walking shoes and I generally continue to wear them in winter unless I really need a higher pair. Then I go to the hiking boots.

Kay said...

I just ordered some Merrells Mocs for myself. Congratulations on your great buy!